Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shield of Angels

To start, I need to tell my mom not to worry about me :). You taught me to follow my heart and follow the Savior. I'm trying to do both :)!

The Houston Chronicle reports....

MEXICO CITY — A record 111 U.S. citizens were killed in Mexico last year, nearly half of them on or near the Texas border, as the country's gang-fueled violence worsened, according to the U.S. State Department.

The recently released reports don't specify how or why the Americans were murdered, nor does it name victims. But 80 percent of them were killed in border states where narcotics violence is worst - 39 alone in Ciudad Juarez, which shares the Rio Grande with El Paso, and other nearby towns.
The number of U.S. victims last year was more than triple the toll in 2007. Over a four-year period, 283 Americans were reported murdered, according to State Department figures.

Less than 10 miles across the Mexican Border in the City of Jaurez lies the
Colonia Juárez Chihuahua México Temple. It is the smallest temple in the world at only 6,800 sq. ft. There is one ordinance room and one sealing room.


The first thing I noticed about this small temple was the larger than life statue of the Angel Moroni. He was only two stories up :). I was completely overwhelmed by the power of Him and the army of angels protecting those sacred grounds and the path to get there. I went with a handful of ward members I barely knew, but felt the strength in the promise we were given of protection. As I was waiting in the celestial room a sister asked me if I was scared.

I probably looked at her like she was crazy :), but I told her I didn't think that our ward would be assigned to that temple if it wasn't safe for us to be there and that I trust that the leaders of the church would not put us in harms way. What I didn't tell her was that I couldn't eat hardly anything all day and that I had left a few notes of instructions for my husband in case I didn't make it back :). I had to talk my husband into being ok with me going and I didn't call my mom because I knew she would not be happy. I kinda felt like I was in jr. high, sneaking out of the house. Not that I did that Mom ;)!

But it worked out great! I was able to put my friend's name on the prayer roll, do a little of the Lord's work, and spend a few minutes in one of the most peaceful places on earth!

Never mind the fact that I had to put my foot down when my ride wanted to stop at a pharmacy and then for a burrito! The promise the bishop gave us was contingent upon us going straight there and back without stopping anywhere, and I was holding to that promise! We had already passed men with machine guns and mean looking dogs... What is wrong with people!!!

Mom... I'll call ya before I go next month and I won't ride with that crazy lady again ;)! So no worries!!! I'm just trying to follow what you taught me (and I'm still your smart-alick daughter :).
Aren't you glad you had me get that passport a few yrs ago!!!

4 comments:

Chanté said...

This gave me the chills. But in a (mostly) good way! What an amazing story...and what amazing faith. Love ya!

The Welsh's said...

Be safe! And I'm glad you looked at the crazy lady like she was crazy, every once in a while they need a reminder that they are! Love you and miss you tons!

mom said...

ok...so this is your mother!!! I am not quite sure what to post here...I am grateful you have such faith and determitation to do the things you do...that makes you the wonderful gal that you are! But for the luv...you still worry me!!! Get a babysitter next time and take Joe with you! I will pay for the sitter and that way you can use Joe for a shield from those bad guys & mean dogs!! Just kidding Joe...kind of (smiley face)

LaurieJ said...

Meliss!
Ugh. If you weren't such a magnet with your 6 ft. something of beauty I wouldn't worry as much. Thanks for not stopping for a burrito :-)
I might still call Joe and have him hide your passport ;-)