Monday, November 9, 2009

Chixie Dix and Family Pix

The other night, Joe and I went to a Fancy Shmancy awards banquet at The Grand America hotel. It was actually a lot of fun to break out of the rut and get a little dolled up to rub elbows with an over-accomplished crowd. Since we were 'fashionably late' we ended up at a table of unfamiliar faces. Which to me, made the night even better. I am cursed with this uninhibited ability to say just whatever random (and most likely stupid) thought that pops in my head. Knowing that I would probably never see or recognize these people again totally took the pressure off :). I am happy to report that it was not me that made the hilarious goof by mentioning the 'Chixie Dix'!

As the night wore on, and the various crystal and over sized jewel awards were claimed, my mind started to wander (big surprise) to the events of the past year. It started out like this... wow that chic totally climbed Mt.Everest and that other lady has 7 kids and 'somehow' she managed to become an amazingly successful business owner. And then there was this gorgeous scientist/ doctor that was making monumental discoveries that are changing the field of medicine... she was 29!

Yup... I was thinking what the crap is my problem! I have this mountain of unfolded laundry in my bedroom, I fed my kids corn dogs for dinner, and I'm pretty sure my shoes don't match what I'm wearing! So when the little server guy dressed in a tux brought me out this huge piece of strawberry cheesecake, drizzled with strawberry glaze, and sprinkled with flakes of white chocolate; I thought what the heck! Good thing I did, because it turned out amazing :)!!!

I am honestly not a jealous person (don't we all say that) and I was so happy for these people and their achievements (especially the one's I was there to support!), but I started to think about what my greatest accomplishments were in life, and what are my dreams for what's ahead.

There have been moments over the past few years that have felt like Joe and I were being dragged through the mud! Given a crappy hand! No more than anybody else, less than some I'd say... but just a raw deal!

That night, as we drove home together, I thought about how all the bumps in the road have helped my sweet Joe and I hold on to each other and our little family a little tighter.

Yesterday after church, we headed over to my mom's house where we did our own little family photo shoot, got some exciting news ;), and celebrated my brother in-laws and our oldest boy's birthday! Life is great! I have some pretty great accomplishments right in front of me!

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Welsh's said...

Yeah I'd say you have quite a bit that you have accomplished in the last 10 years! Don't try to compare that with 29 year old Drs and Dixie Chics!;)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Thank you, Melissa for a great reminder. I love that picture of your 3. They are all going to Amazons...they already are.

Sabine Berlin said...

Your accomplishments are many! You were a great neighbor (and I'm sure still are). You have beautiful children, and you take amazing pictures. You are thoughtful, and you are missed by your old neighbor! SO I hope you enjoyed that cheesecake! You deserved it!